Thursday, November 17, 2005

The NYC Meat Market

I guess you could refer to it as the gym. I work out at the New York Sports Club, which boasts 37 Manhattan locations, spa services at some, yoga, pillates, kick-boxing and hip-hop dancing, among other popular classes. The gym itself is fairly normal, bright and sunny with lots of mirrors and tons of tvs. On each cardio machine you even get your own, an idea that in itself is brillant. So how is it someone isn't perfectly happy in three floors of high-tech equipment and fitness trainers all over the place?

For the most part I am happy. I've never been particularly large, but work out to keep myself toned and boost my circulation, and thus my thought process. It helps me wake up and stay strong and keep from getting sick. There are tons of great reasons to work out. On the other hand, there are tons of great reasons not to work out with models. That's right, models. Maybe I was just in a fantasy land, but I had the impression that models didn't work out at gyms, that they had their own special places to go so as not to make the regular people feel bad about themselves. And trust me, no matter who you are, you're going to feel the effects of being 5'4" and standing next to someone who is six inches taller and about twenty pounds lighter. I have to say I'm impressed that they are diligent about their workouts. For some reason I'd always imagined that they just snorted a lot of coke and never ate but I'm glad to say that's not true of all of them. There are definitely some models who are up at the same time I am and working out diligently. Though I have to admit if I were there size I would sleep in every morning and eat pancakes when I got up.

Another problem this creates for normal people is dating. FOr me, it's not an issue- my boyfriend hasn't set foot in a gym in ages. But for the average late 20s early 30s girl I imagine it's daunting to be up against people whose day job includes being in make-up and clothing ads. I see the way guys check every girl out but the way they check out the models with the wistfulness of boys in love. There is something ethereal about them. And it sucks that they still look pretty decent dripping with sweat. Besides that, things are good in there. there is the usual sexual tension that builds from men huffing themselves in pushing up ridiculous amounts of weight. Clearly it's a national thing. I used to think it was just college boys that were dumb enough to attempt lifting more than they actually could but it's grown men too. The noises that come from their open mouths are hilarious. There are probably lots of first dates that come from the NYSC. Maybe they could start their own dating service. Or they probably already had, I just don't know about it. But I wonder what it's like being a normal size and weight with yes, some problem spots and confronted with the future Claudia Schiffer or Heidi Klum. I know for me it shakes me to the core. At least until I leave and pick up a bagel, thankful that I can munch on whatever I want. No one at work will demand me to look photogenically perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home