Friday, November 18, 2005

Blistery Blustery

I woke up this morning, again shocked into believing that New York is as cold as rumored when it wants to be. The actual temperature is expected to hit 43 degrees today but with windchill, we'll be lucky to feel like it's 33. Wow. Now I understand why people bundle up the way they do. Even baby carriages have this option where you pretty much stick your baby in a fleece bag and stick him/her to the baby carriage. Then you cover the whole thing in plastic. I'm impressed the incident of SIDs doesn't rise with all these plastic covered babies.

As for people, long down coats and HUGE scarves and hats are apparently neccessary. I mean huge coats and scarves. I have tried on several of the said coats, but am too vain to desire walking the New York streets appearing to be an oompa loompa with no fashion sense. Because that's what I look like in them. THey come down to my ankles and add roughly fifty pounds in the way of down and fluff. It takes me back to those snowsuits my mom used to put me in when I was a little kid, like the little one in "A Christmas Story". You remember how he can't move his arms? That's how I felt in the Burton SoHo store trying them on, turning around in circles in front of the mirror. So I left, on the search for something that wouldn't look ridiculous.

At least I began to understand what it meant to be cold in the city versus cold anywhere else. At home, I could hop into my car, which would be warm in a few minutes, or just stay inside. Here I have to go to work even though I feel not so great and would rather just stay inside, curled up with Sex and the City or a good book and some hot chocolate. What I am excited about is seeing the first snow here. It's wonderful to think of, that here we'll experience a white Christmas, even if it means wearing a few more layers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home