Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Office Holiday

This is the first time I'll ever be involved in Christmas in an office, or in New York, for that matter. In New York, the Rockefeller Tree is going up today. In the office, I plugged in this snowman that lights up in my computer. It changes from green to red to pink to blue and is wearing a glittery pink hat and scarf. Cheesy but bought during senior winter exams, which is why it's excusable.

We're planning this office party too. Not the kind people end up making out at, but the lunch and secret santa kind, which is, I think, far better. I have qualms about being invited to an evening event with my colleagues when alcohol is involved. Yes, it's cliche, but cliche because IT HAPPENS. Things get said and boom! Everything is out there and you can't look anyone in the face until well into March. So we're sticking with a lovely litte lunch and casual conversation.

In New York, I'll be seeing the Nutcracker performed by NYC Ballet, and the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. In the office, we'll be getting some small token of affection in place of the traditional Christmas bonus. I'm excited about being in the holiday spirit in New York. There's a chance of snow on Friday and I can't wait to bundle up in scarf and gloves and have Boyfriend bundled up beside me. He's even showing his best side by going to the ballet with me. Whiel I understand that most guys don't like fairy tales or dance, it's important for them to suck it up once in a while and show some support for their girlfriend.

As far as decorations in my personal life are concerned, there aren't any. I don't really have room for anything, and I always hate having all these decorations that have to be packed up at the end of the year and put away in limited storage until next November. So my apartment remains bare,as I continue to look for the perfect things to go on my wall and prepare to redecorate and never leave my studio apartment because moving in this town is next to impossible. I can honestly see myself still living there in fifteen years.

But, back to the holiday spirit, which I have a lot of. I'm happy to say that November and December are my favorite seasons because of the anticipation of the warmth and love associated with family. Which is why every year my family ends up in inteernal war with each other and I always get sick from not having enough alone time. I'm thrilled to be far enough away from them to really enjoy the "true meaning" of the holidays.I might even find a caroling service at a local church before heading back to North Carolina in a few weeks. When I returned from Thanksgiving on Monday I was exhausted and dirty, but almost immediately went back out and down the block to get a manicure. That's how I know I'm truly settling in down here, choosing beauty over napping. I'm finally becoming more practical in the New York snese. I used to think that manicures were only things you should get if you were rich or for special occasions but my friend B is right. They're cheap and they make you feel three hundred percent better. My hands look better and stay softer, which is hard in the New York wind and rain. No, I'm not the type who will get them done every week but don't see a problem with every other week or once a month. People spend their money on all kinds of other crap.

That's another thing i've noticed about New York. Yes, people put more time, energy and money into things like manicures, massages, facials. But maybe it's because we don't have as much STUFF. When I was at home, walking around my parents massive house, and flying in over Raleigh and seeing the five to eight thousand square foot homes popping up, I wondered why they felt the need to live in such a huge space. Isn't it better to have a little less room in the bedroom and a little more time for spending with friends on the outside. People here only use their apartments for rest and the chance to escape the New York rush. But we certainly don't hole up for days in there. It's so much more refreshing, and healthier, to be outside, walking and breathing in the air and communicating with people and taking the time to visit places and see new things.

True, I can't really say how I"d feel if I had the Olsens apartment (5700 sq. feet) or owned a New York penthouse. But I find that I'm okay in a small space, living in less than 400 sq. feet, about a quarter of what I had when I lived in Chapel Hill. I really like my apartment. I enjoy cooking on my mini-stove and taking baths in a tub turned the wrong way. I think I would prefer to step out onto the Brooklyn Bridge looking like a million dollars as opposed to spending that much on a house. I also love that it only takes me about 20 minutes to thoroughly clean my apartment, and an hour if I get into the loft. So everything is always clean, or mostly.

So maybe it's not such a big deal to spend ten dollars a week or two on nails and have blank white canvases for walls. Which makes it okay that I don't have a tree, but have been humming carols for the last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home