Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Blind as a Bat? Or just sight-choosy?

I went to the opthamologist on Monday. For several months now, I've had a lot of trouble seeing certain things. This includes movies, television, books, and street signs (okay, that's been a problem for a couple of years now). So at the convincing of my boyfriend, I finally made an appointment and went with the best intentions. As in, they would tell me that my vision problems were simply being created by the change in atmosphere since moving to New York. I imagined the doctor shaking my hand and saying "You're fine! Its just a little windy out!"

But it didn't go exactly like that. It went more like, "Your eyes have definitely changed. When was the last time you saw an eye professional?"

"Um, 2001, I think."

"Well, I'd like it if you could come in once a year."

"Okay."

"Now, let's talk about your vision problems."

In the end I came out still alive, but with a prescription for glasses that I am supposed to use when watching TV, driving, or going to the movies. But not ALL THE TIME. I was thrilled. And when I went home and explained that to Boyfriend that night, he said, "So pretty much all the time." "Nooo," I replied, "Only when..." and I repeated myself. He looked at me skeptically. And since then I have continued to iive in my dream world. I have definitely known for a while that I wasn't seeing as clearly as I used to, but attributed that to being tired and working full time and spending a lot of time sitting in front of a computer.

So I'm going to have to wear glasses more than usual. But as Samantha said on "Sex and the City" "I'm wearing glasses and I'm fucking fabulous. So there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home