Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Smoking Weed before 9

Thought that would grab your attention. And no, I wasn't the one smoking. I was turning from Houston onto Mercer this morning, on my way to work in our 16 degree temperatures when it hit me. And I mean hit me. Like someone must have actually been smoking that very instant and letting the winter wind carry it down to those of us commuting on foot on the street. I was fascinated. I guess it's like being an alcoholic except a much more potent announcement to the world that you smoke before lunchtime. No Judgement! (haha)

I also realized I hadn't written in several days and since my life is so fascinating knew you would want to share in what's been happening. Boyfriend and I attended the NYC ballet's "Nutcracker" on Friday night, which is a fantastic version of it. The best I've ever seen. Really. It put me in the mood for Christmas, and with the trees in Lincoln Center all lit up and people milling around dressed up, I was set for Santa to land and give me something fabulous. We had this really nice weekend hanging out and waiting for the Snowstorm #1 to hit NYC. Which didn't happen. I woke up Monday morning to bright sunny skies and icy patches on the sidewalks- all of which I managed to hit with the winter sun in my eyes.

But it also made me realize how lucky I am. I am forced to get outside every day whether or not I like it, and generally for an extended period of time. There are no excuses to hide behind. I have to go to work, for one thing, and I have to walk to get there, unless I want a really complicated subway journey (which would also involve walking) So whether or not I like it, in snow, rain, or sun, I'm out there in the elements. And I can actually feel the positive affects on my life. I'm happier, my skin is rosier. I'm learning how to be on time for things (slowly, I'm sure Boyfriend would point out).

Also this week the MTA set up all new rules for Subway users, including no drinking, eating, taking up more than one seat with bags, going between cars, and jumping the turnstile (which I thought was a pretty obvious one). I imagine Starbucks is going to be hurting with these choices. No open containers on the trains. I'm fascinatd with two things- 1) Will the police of New York (because they have nothing to do??) have TIME to enforce these little rules and fine people and 2) Since a lot of times it's homeless people laying around and eating on trains, will they actually be able to fine them? I pointed out to a co-worker yesterday that it's not like they can be tracked down to an address- you know, sometimes that cardboard box on Mercer street, sometimes the alleyway between two buildings on Forty second. Think about THAT for a minute. And even if they could, I doubt they have the cash to pay off the $60-125 fines. So we'll have to see how long this one lasts.


In other news, they're filming a Bollywood movie on my street, and the trailers are taking up most of our neighborhood. Seriously. They have about a hundred parked in various spots making it very difficult for the normal pedestrians and cars to make it through. But I'm learning to deal with such idiosyncracies in New York. It's the way it works. People want to be filmed here, want to know what's going on in the city and spread that all over the world, apparently. maybe it truly is the greatest city in the world. Next to Paris, which will always be close to my heart. As will the smell of weed early on a Wednesday morning. Are there any excuses?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home