Thursday, January 26, 2006

It's Worse in ALaska

New York is cold today. We've had an exceptionally warm January (even I've been able to deal with it nicely) but today the wind chill is down in the single digits and gusts are going up to 60 mph. In other news, it's worse in Alaska. Fairbanks, Alaska, is expected to reach a "high" of -40. I have to wonder what possesses people to stay there through the winter. Imagine being in a dark room for six months of the year with temperatures like that. Guess you really learn how to layer. I'm simply struggling with living in the Northeast, much less in a worse climate. But the body does adjust and I'm learning very quickly that weather here is as unpredictable as the ocean.

Last night I returned to my apartment to find that everything on my little list had been fixed. THe kitchen cabinet, bathroom sink, and kitchen light were all ready to go and shining brightly. It was really thrilling to have that to walk into. Sicne I have had such a difficult time dealing with management in the past. It amuses me because i always pay my rent on time, thus holding up MY end of the bargain, to maintain the dwelling I'm in, report problems, and stay on top of my bills, but they seem to have lots of problems holding up their end of the bargain, which is to repair things that need repairing and take responsibility for the major maintenance of the place. So i can't understand why, if I'm doing my part, they can't just meet me halfway. I briefly considered only paying them part of the rent, versus the whole rent and then pointing out that if they weren't going to help me take care of their place, I shouldn't have to spend so much money on it each month.

I also sunk to a new low when it comes to threats and bribes. I suggested that I didn't feel safe in an apartment without a working buzzer. I mean, what else is a single girl supposed to do to get some people in there? I think it's my right to go to any means neccessary. I have been in the apartment for almost seven months and been asking for the buzzer to be fixed for about six of those. It probably wouldnt take that long if they would actually get in and do it already! If it desn't work out I guess I could complain to 311, but i hate doing that because then you have to go to a hearing and deal with it in that sense.
So apartment living can be not so great sometimes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home