Monday, February 20, 2006

A Case of the Mondays

I arrived back in New York yesterday afternoon, just before sunset. Flying in, we had to circle through Conneticutt because of air traffic and I really got to see the layout of the burroughs. It was actually kind of neat to fly over people's beach homes and see where the US Open is played and be so close to Manhattan all at the same time. I'm actually really impressed with how it's handled. When I got in and called the car service I was forced to stand outside, holding Lucy uncomfortably in the freezing air. The saddest part about this weekend was that it was just as cold in North Carolina as it was in New York.

Friday night, because of the weather, my flight got delayed three times and more than four hours. It was the most ridiculous thing I've been through in quite some time. They kept changing their minds, telling us one minute the plane was on the ground we were just waiting for crew, and the next minute the plane hadn't even been able to take off from Boston because of the wind. I was disappointed to arrive too late to really spend much time with my newly married friend J, who was providing me with her new and unused guest room, thrilled to have someone other than family and her friend M staying there. It was actually really cozy. THey've done a ton with the house since I had last seen it and were definitely in the newly wed phase. It was darling. Just like in middle school, my mom came and picked me up in the morning, which was kind of funny.

I spent hte rest of the weekend going through more of my North Carolina belongings and trying to sort out what I do and do not need in my life. I picked out more things to give away and get rid of, which is always a ncie feeling. My parents are trying to hang on to a lot of my stuff, since they think that any minute I'm moving back. Which I hate to let them know is definitely wrong. I love it up here. Being down there is relaxing and I'm not saying I won't want to ever go back, but being up here is the place for me right now. Evenw iththe price of everything, it's so nice to not hav eto worry about driving anywhere or being stuck in the snow or even being continually harassed by my parents. Which were all things I had to put up with when I lived in North Carolina.

But everywhere you go there are certain elements that will make it difficult or challenging to live in. In France, you can't find processed foods hardly anywhere unless you're in a large city. In New York, no one can afford to own an apartment or a car. In North Carolina, people watch their trees disappear daily and live with Republiicans and very active anti-everything Christian groups. There are things I definitely don't miss about North Carolina. But there were some nice things as well, like being able to drive up to the lake whenever I felt like it, and being only a few hours from a really nice beach.

Not that anything like that matters today, when I'm at work and trying to find things to do since most people have today off for President's day. Must be nice to be given federal holidays. Isn't there some sort of law against this or something that I can bring up to my boss? Like we have to have the holidays because it's an American freedom or something? I'll have to look into that with my next job, making sure I get plenty of days off!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home