Thursday, February 16, 2006

Preparing to Leave

I'm flying back to NC this weekend to pick up an animal. A cat, to be precise. A gray tabby who was found underneath our house over Christmas and is about to become homeless if I don't rescue her. Her name is Lucy. She weighs 5 pounds. She is adorable. And I can't wait to bring her back to my tiny NYC apartment, in the hopes that she'll settle into life living indoors. Last night I spent almost two hours setting up things for her. Toys, litter box, scratching post, bed, food and water bowls. I have her carrier packed in my suitcase and am ready to get her ready to go. Tonight I'm picking up food for her. My parents have her vet records ready to go.

It's funny how once you have animals in your life, it's hard to go to a life without them. Suddenly it seems very boring and ordinary. I can't imagine not being around animals. some people think it's cruel to keep them locked up in little bitty apartments, but from what I've seen, most of them don't mind it. They like their space and learn to appreciate the view from a window. Both of these elements are very important in learning about them. I can only hope that the same will be true of this kitten, that she won't mind not being able to wander in the great outdoors or even have various rooms to travel through. Someday, but not now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home