Friday, March 03, 2006

Maybe not so different from the South

There were tons of wrecks yesterday. And this morning. On the way to work I found that half of lower Broadway was blocked with fire trucks and spectators watching what appeared to be a disaster made with a city bus and a delivery truck. The sidewalks were icy, people were slipping and sliding everywhere, and schools in neighboring towns and states had closed for the day. There was barely any snow. Yesterday, while we were suppposed to get somewhere around 7 inches, we only got three. Which should have been nothing up here. But for some reason has turned this place into a bumbling mess.

What happened, New York? Where was the confidence seen trudging to work after the largest blizzard on record? Where were the snow shoes and boots with heavy treads on them? I have to admit I was a little disappointed. Besides the wind, I may a s well have been in a snow storm in NC. Last year, my neighbors and I used ski poles to get us up and down our super steep driveway. Going to school was a hell. But that was with like an inch of ice.

And naturally it was windy and cold. Since I was sick yesterday you can imagine how particularly wonderful that felt as I was leaving my nice cozy apartment with my sweet purring kitty. No wonder more people are choosing to "freelance" or work from home. There are some advantages, particularly when it's 11 degrees outside and you're wrapped up inside. People really were developed for hibernating. That's why we have so much disease floating around. Imagine if everything stopped for January and February. I wonder how much healthier we would be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home