Monday, March 20, 2006

Will it ever arrive?

Spring is supposedly supposed to begin on Wednesday. It's supposed to be flowers, showers, some breezes, and then some. Unfortunately it's still cold, in the thirties here, and I'm constantly freezing. I didn't mind freezing December through now, but come on people, it's time fora change. I always think about the Pilgrims this time of year, and wonder why they didnt sail southward when they came over. How bad would an extra week have been, anyway? If you've been at sea for several months, why would it matter if you had to stay on the ship al ittle longer if it would mean being in a warm location. I would have waited an extra week to found America in Georgia.

Then I wonder why, when it was realized how expansive America could be, and how many locations there were, people didn't flock south. New York City should really be geographically located closer to Miami Beach or, if it had to be centralized, Raleigh. Why would they keep it in a place that regular falls below freezing, has wind issues, and is right on the water? Aren't there other port places,like Baltimore and Savannah that are also right on the water but don't have as many issues? I'm just curious about the choices settlers made.

I wonder what I would have done had I come over on the Mayflower. Insisted that the seasick people not throw up on me? Demanded better food than smoked fish? Rolled my eyes excessively at the stupid men that were undoubtedly "running" the place. i'm not sure, looking at the big picture, if I could have made any better decisions. Because what makes New York great is New York itself, not its location.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home