Monday, April 24, 2006

Challah French Toast

I never would have heard of it without being up here. I think. I can't think of a single Jewish person I knew from back home. I mean, I'm sure there were some, or at least descendants of some, but I can't think of anyone. It's a totally foreign culture to me. Sometimes I'll let out an oy, or schlep, or something of that nature, and I know a little about the Holocaust and where Long Island is located, but beyond that, no clue.

But Challah bread. Definitely something I wish I'd known about earlier. One of the great things about New York is the freshness of baked goods. You can get a great loaf of bread for not much more than you'd pay for a loaf of Merita. And the kinds of bread- pumpernickel, rye, challah, irish soda. It goes on and on. I have to admit that I'm a bread freak. You should have seen me in Europe- I was literally eating my way through it. And it was delicious. I can't believe I even made it back. I probably shouldn't have come back. I think I read somewhere that it's cheaper to live there. Maybe because all you eat is bread. They are the anti-thesis of America's idea of a diet. As opposed to Atkins, it's ALL CARB AND I LOVE IT.

Not that I don't love America. Isn't that what we're supposed to do now, a paranoid turn-around? You begin to say what negative thing you really feel about America and bounce right bakc with something that's great about it. So I'm going to bounce back by saying a big thank you to the "Jewish Reservation" out on Long Island, a people who definitely know how to cook, even ifsome of the stuff is a little weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home