Friday, April 28, 2006

Custard Buns

I've done it. I have finally maxed out my credit card and exhausted the parental resources. Now I truly am living on my own, on a pathetic salary (for New York) and figuring out how to do that. But helping that path is the discovery of Custard Buns. Not kidding. Those are a) delicious and b) 60 cents each. That's what I said. There's a bakery in chinatown that makes them and they really are that cheap and I love them. Thank God.

Really I find some parts of New York to be fantastically cheap, and other parts to be ridiculously expensive. It's kind of confusing, to tell the truth. Sometimes I don't have any problems finding cheap furnishings, food, books, music, whatever. But Boyfriend and I have on more than a few occasions, spent eighty or one hundred dollars on ONE DINNER. What is going on with that? For the most part, quality of food is high all over the city, not just in certain areas. And yet, some of the restaurants here will charge forty-five dollars for a cocktail and not blink an eye. And I have friends who pay that much and also don't blink an eye.

Naturally I remember the easy days at college, where my parents paid for just about anything and the money I made was mine to spend how I saw fit- mostly on things like movies, Barnes and Nobles, clothing. Things of that nature. But now, of course, I wish I could have just half the money I made and put it back in my account. It's amazing how much we waste during our college years, thinking that when we're out and on a salary we'll do just fine. For some, that's fine. If you're a business major, you'll probably be making plenty of money. But if you were a humanities major, you're not. Trust me. Unless you came into your trust fund on your graduation day, you're probably struggling with student loans (yes, you have to pay the university back) and other living expenses, like silverware. Seriously. Silverware. I never thought aobut that in college.

I also, of course assumed I would pack up all my things and bring them to New York with me. Again, I was wrong about that. I brought almost nothing to New York and had to start from scratch. Which isnt' fun, especially when you're on a budget. And Ikea is located in NJ. I've never understood why they won't open a NYC store. Think of allthe money that would bring in!!
But I'm still fantasizing about having my own place all the time. During lunch hour I was surfing craigslist, looking at listings for sale and thinking about what a bargain a one-bedroom for 399,000 is, especially in the West Village! it's sad that seems like a bargain. Really sad.

Then I think about what that much money would buy down south and it's a heck of a lot more. I could probably have several acres with a house. But I wouldn't have the Morton Williams right down the street. Or a drugstore that delivered. And I bet getting movies would be a huge pain in the butt. Besides that, life would be grand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home