Monday, May 15, 2006

Egyptian Make-up

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day at the Met Museum uptown. There is an exhibit there running through July 9 on Hatshepsut, who happens to be one of my favorite historical women. She began her reign co-ruling with her nephew Thutmose III as Queen, but ended up dropping that in favor of King. She ruled for more than 15 years, and after her death Thutmose III had the majority of her statues destroyed and her name erased from all historical tablets. It's fascinating to think that someone was pretentious enough to believe he could completely erase someone who had ruled his country.

What I liked most about her, though, was her taste. She had excellent taste in jewelry, and her make-up containers are nothing less than gorgeous. Carved alabaster and faciene jars with motifs of gods and plants on them, small ebony q-tip like things used to apply kohl to the eyes, handmirrors made out of a single sheet of silver. I imagine that if I had such pretyt things to look forward to everyday I would spend more time putting on make-up and really dressing well. Why don't we anymore? What happened to vanities and seperate rooms for dressing? I don't think it was that long ago that the majority of upper-middle class and upper class women had seperate areas or whole rooms devoted to the act of getting ready. And that is a great thing. There is nothing better (to me) than transforming yourself into something beautiful and wonderful from that average person you were only a little while ago.

I enjoy the Egyptians. They really knew how to live their life. They ate well, napped well, did physical activities and even believed the spirt continued on in this lifestyle in the afterworld (which is why offerings of food and nice jewelry were given to those who were a part of it) Hatsphepsut was no exception, but from what can be found of her reign, did an excellent job as ruler. There were very few female pharoahs in ancient Egypt, but Hatsheptsut stood for everything a female leader can be- strong, fair and still very elegant and pretty. Have to say I'm jealous.

Now I spend about half an hour getting ready for an eight hour day that in the long run means nothing in my actual life. I know there is a lot going on in everyone's life, and that most people work jobs they consider unimportant, but it's difficult when you consider that at least the unimportant people in olden days were mostly doing a whole lot of nothing. And spending plenty of time outdoors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home