Friday, July 07, 2006

We're definitely getting older, but Wiser?

I was invited to eight weddings this summer. Seriously. Count the invitations. It's crazy to 1) imagine I have that many friends and 2) imagine that all of them are getting married. But since I'm in NYC and broke and hot, i'm only going to one of them, in August. It's near DC, so I'll have to take a train down there, stay in a hotel, and pay for whatever else will be happening during the festivities. Did I mention it's black tie? This wouldn't be a problem except Boyfriend doesn't own a tux and isn't really a fan of going since he doesn't know the girl who's tying the knot.

It's hard to explain why I want him to go. I guess I could say that I spent a lot of years going to weddings alone because I didn't have a boyfriend, or I had one but he was definitely not the type you take to weddings. So now I have one, and he is the type you want to take to weddings- literally tall, dark and handsome with these amazing eyes and gorgeous hands- but he's not as in to the idea. We're poor and it will definitely cost a lot to attend this event. I understand that. But at the same time a bunch of my friends are going to be there, and I want him to meet them, want them to meet him, so when I talk about my wonderful boyfriend they'll have a face to put with the name.

I wonder how long I will go on growing up, going to "grown-up" events, and yet still throwing a fit when my boyfriend doesn't want to spend a fortune on a wedding of strangers. I can assure him all I want- that he will lvoe these people, that there will be an open bar, that he gets to spend a weekend in a hotel. And a nice hotel at that. But it's still complicated. still trying to figure out if I'm mature or if I'm being a whiny brat about the whole thing. And I wonder if this has drawn a rift between us.

Yay for weddings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home