Monday, August 21, 2006

Your Place My Space

I went to the NYC Fringe Festival's "Your Place" play on Saturday night. It featured a couple of my friends, which was one reason to go see it, plus it was essentially making fun of MySpace. It was really funny to watch. Because, for the most part, it was true. We all get on myspace, have these crazy layouts and pretend we're super fun when in fact we're probably just sitting at work bored. I've even gotten into it and I've never been that crazy about web stuff before.

Naturally there's all this hype about all the bad things happening to people on myspace. Namely young girls who invite strangers over to their homes after posting their nude photos on my space. Surely there's a better way to get a date! But is there a better way to communicate now? We can't have real conversations anymore, preferring to type in everything. I have actually been receiving so many text messages in the last year that i've had to change my plan to accomodate themm- it costs everytime anyone SENDS one to me.

Then, of course, I write in this blog almost everyday, sharing things that complete strangers could read if they wanted to- and some definitely do! I'm not even sure my friends read this stuff as much as random people do. Every day when I get to the office I immediately check several things- my personal email, my work email, my myspace page, and I update my blog. All online, all involving no actual person to person contact.

I think part of the reason the business world, at least, is embracing our technology is because it totally cuts out those embarassing phone calls. Nearly everything can be done through impassioned emails, rather than phoning someone to tell them how you screwed up. It's a buffer between yourself and reality. I think I'll keep it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home