Monday, June 05, 2006

The Break Up ( a movie)

This week was really gross. And weekend. It rained pretty much the whole time, making it hard for me to motivate myself to go anywhere or do anything, much to the dismay of Boyfriend. We did hit up Dave and Buster's, this really neat arcade/restaurant place that actually has decent food. I was pretty shocked. Generally those kinds of combination places have really crappy food which the games are supposed to make up for. So we did DDR, played "slot" machines, and laughed at the tickets we collected that would purchase oh, I don't know, either a New York City change purse, or fake diamond necklace. It was really amusing. I love that kind of crap. Like CHuck E. Cheese but soooo much better.

Also saw "The Break-Up", new movie with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. It makes you never wnat to move in with your significant other. THat's for sure. It also makes you seriously think about living together vs. being married and living together. Watching that, I was wondering what would have happened had they been married. It definitely would have been a lot more complicated than "pack up and get out". It also makes you think about hte risks you take when you merge your life with someone else's. When you put part or even most of your happiness in the hands of someone else. No matter how much you love them it is a risk. And probably the biggest one we take. I know it took me a really long time to trust that Boyfriend wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. And even longer to adapt to the knowledge that he was willing to move five states over just to be with me.

Several of my friends are getting ready or getting married, and in the process quite a few of them are buying houses and condos and starting to share a life together. I'm so impressed with them. Are they playing house or is this for real? Can you really be willing to settle down and spend the next eighty years with the same person, decorate a home together, do the dishes (or yell about not doing the dishes), share a bathroom and living room space and everything that that entails. It's something to think about. One of my friends who is much older got married last year and has to say it's the hardest thing she's ever done. She says that she didn't realize what it would be like to actually live with her husband. Both of them have lived on their own for a really long time, so learning to compromise was difficult. I have barely lived on my own but know that I'm a difficult one to compromise with. I want things my way most of hte time and will try just about anything to get them to that point.

I definitely admire them for pulling their act together, but at the same time want to scream at them that now is the time to make mistakes. To live on the edge (without going over) to not have to worry about a mortgage (something you'll have for the rest of your life), to be young and free and happy. I wonder if our generation is moving in the EXACT OPPOSITE as the generation before us. My parents didn't even think about their retirement before they were in their thirties because it wasn't as big a deal. They knew they would have social security and a 401K plan and everything else would work itself out. Now most of my friends are already concerned about retiring and we're just in our early 20s. We're worried we'll never work for a company that will offer benefits, we'll always be skirting the edge of credit card debt, and we'll have a hard time surviving.

So maybe i just won't worry for it today, and instead be grateful that i have a job and a life I love with people I love in it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home