Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hurricane in New York?

Otherwise I really can't explain why it's so disgusting here this week! Yuck. Just a little FYI for y'all: if you move up here buy a rain jacket. My friend C just moved up here a few weeks ago and has actually not owned one since she was a little girl. First of all, since she's from FL I thought it was a pre-req. So I asked her what she did when it rained and she shrugged and said, "Sat in my car?" Secondly, sitting in your car is definitely not a NYC option, especially since you don't have a car. Unless you are incredibly rich and/or famous. Which I doubt if you know me. Because if you were you'd be having your secretary reading this today then calling me to tell me how wrong I am.

So we went shopping to get her a water-proof coat. She doesn't yet have the concept of New York rain. It's very sneaky. It will look like nothing, look like nothing and all of a sudden you'll be in the middle of a downpour. Craziness. I guess there's a lot that you can't understand about the city unless you live here. But I think par tof the reason rain surprises us is that we can't see it coming. No one is ever looking past the huge buildings that cover Manhattan, at least not far enough to see the storms coming in off the waterway. IT's really fascinating. Plus I told her it rains sideways but she didn't believe me. I think, now that we're getting itno the fall I'm going to keep an extra set of clothes here, because I know the day will come when I will arrive at work drenched.

The good news about having her just here and not really settled in yet is that she could bring me lunch, which was awesome. I love eatin gfor free especially since so much of my income goes to food. Guess that's why I eat such simple meals all the time. Haha. One day I'm going to make enough money to fix whatever I want for dinner. I am going to live in an apartment big enough to hold a full spice rack and have counter space and whip up gourmet meals. Now that's something to look forward too. There's a lot in NYC to look forward too.

We're almost at Labor Day and I've been watching little kids get their school supplies together. I used to love doing that stuff. I would pack my backpack like two weeks before and be getting up early before I realized that. So I'm watching the NYCkids pack up their supplies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home