Monday, October 16, 2006

3000 Condoms

I knew that would get your attention. In the 21st century safe sex is not only vital, it is easy to obtain. Not that Ii'm encouraging sleeping around, because I'm definitely not, but did you know that the New York City health department will send as many free condoms as you want to a business or dormitory? I didn't until B's neighbor called up as a joke and ended up with literally 3000 on his doorstep. I kid you not. So they were going to have a party and hand them all out but he left town, and the condoms, locked up in his apartment. Yes, I guess he really thinks he's going to get lucky.

It got me to thinking about the various free services NYC has to offer. And there are plenty. Boyfriend has a book called "Free and Dirt Cheap in New York" that works on this entire basis that most forms of entertainment can be found for free. Some of it is in higher demand than others- we all saw what happened with Meryl Streep in Central Park's Shakespeare in the Park this summer. People were actually SCALPING free tickets. That's sad. And there are some really nice things in New York that are free, like the Dance Theater in the summer at Lincoln center and the Staten Island Ferry (also I heard that beer on the SIF is only like 3 or 4 dollars). I personally enjoy walking around the city and wandering in and out of stores so over priced I'm surprised I get in, thus feeding my material desires without costing me a dime.

It's funny how when you get up here and actually start to live your life it doesn't matter so much anymore that you can't afford to do a lot of things people think of when thtey come to New York- opera, theater, Pastis on a Friday night. You become excited about finding an amazing Italian place in your neighborhood, when toilet paper is on sale at the grocery store, and when you get through the line at Trader Joes in under 10 minutes (For anyone who has visited the Union Square location you know that's a rarity). THere is always so much going on here. Boyfriend and I can find just about any form of entertainment from a hookah bar to an improv comedy show (they are both abundant). I've also made friends in various areas who are helpful when it comes to finding things to do at a reasonable price- waiters that take off our drinks, bouncers taht remember us from the week before. Those rae really the people you need to know to get around in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home